A nice local, the Ancient Briton is dog friendly and great for real ale, pubby standard relaxed dining - a little under 2 miles from the castle.
Just one mile south of the castle, there is the Penycae Inn. This is a gastro pub, fine dining, consistently good quality. Dogs here remain on the ground floor only, which has stone floors, so we suggest you bring soft dog bed.
Advantages of staying in winter
1) Great mid-week Dog Friendly Dinner, B&B deals - see our midweek B&B break deals for stays of 2-3 days or more.
2) It is very peaceful and quiet and you have a substantial castle with large sitting rooms more or less to yourself. If you like solitude, peace and quiet, you will enjoy time away from the madding crowds in our glorious countryside!
3) You'll meet fellow dog-walkers as dog owners love our excellent local dog walks and our great value midweek winter holidays.
3) There is plenty of fine dining and pub dining locally, because we have five pubs within two miles of the castle, all of whom will welcome winter trade.
4) Relax by the fire in the castle's dog friendly public areas. The Nicolini and Breakfast room lounges are open by day and the Breakfast room lounge with log fire and Sky TV is open in the evenings. Both are dog friendly areas where dogs are welcome. Drinks are available over the bar on request from reception, during reception opening hours.
See more useful walks links and things to do in answer to the question "Where can I go out dog walking with my dogs".
What parts of the castle are open in winter?
1) Reception for booking in and booking out.
3) TV Lounge/ Breakfast room day and evenings. This has full Sky TV and a wood burning stove so can be kept nice and warm provided you keep the wood burning stove stoked up with logs.
4) Patti Bar for teas coffees and drinks whenever Reception is open and on busier nights.
5) Breakfast may be served in the Patti Bar rather than the main dining room, when numbers are below ten guests staying.
What's on in the winter?
It can snow, which is very beautiful. See our wedding site pictures of the Castle in snow and for dogs, the Country Park in Winter.
Also, check out the haunted castle G.H.O.S.T. tour. We nominate one day a month for a tour we run for singles and couples to join.
|Accommodation in the Castle|
and Dinner, B&B Availability
|Dog Friendly B&B en-suites|
|Mid-week discounted B&B breaks|
|Lounges, Bar & Spa|
|Self-Catering weeks in castle flats|
|Enquire about B&B Availability|