- On 5 nights, first night is at normal tariff £140/ night, the next four nights reduce to £60/ night B&B (saves £80/ night) for two sharing an en-suite. £380 for a 5 night midweek break. Includes breakfast. Total saved: £320.
- On 4 nights, first night is at £140/ night, the next three nights reduce to £60/ night B &B. £320 for a 4 night midweek break. Includes breakfast. Total saved £240.
Winter Trading = B&B Only Days
Sunday to Wednesday
January to March 2020
The minimum number of evening meals we serve is 10 covers. As we have low midweek occupancy in winter, and not everyone staying with us wants to eat in every night, the minimum diners level is not met.
Most guests will want to sample a few of the five local restaurants/ pubs. So inWinter, we do not routinely open for evening meals mid-week unless we have a large advance booking. We open as a B&B only.
Winter trading B&B only days are Sunday to Wednesday inclusive. Winter Trading Months are any very empty days in January, February and March. April may also have occasional 'winter trading' days if it is quiet midweek.
An exception is made when we have high occupancy or an advance dinner booking above 10.
Excellent evening meals are always available at our two 'partner pubs'. These are the Ancient Briton which is dog friendly and great for real ale, more pubby standard relaxed dining - a little under 2 miles from the castle. Just one mile south of the castle, there is the Penycae Inn. This is a gastro pub, fine dining, consistently good quality. Dogs here remain on the ground floor only, which has stone floors, so we suggest you bring soft dog bed.
On some Thursdays we will put on 'Thursday Specials', such as Gourmet Evenings, Curry Evenings, in addition to the various a la carte meal choices.
We do suggest you pre-book dinner in the castle on the Thursday evening of your midweek break, upon confirming your room booking. It is helpful to know numbers in advance.
The Castle is graded 'three star guesthouse'. The key difference between a guesthouse and a hotel, is that a guesthouse trades as a B&B (open for bed and breakfast only) with no evening meals or occasional evening meals. A 'hotel' offers evening meals seven days a week, has a full time restaurant, and 24 hour staffing including night porter or on-call night staff, and is fully open 365 days a year. So at Craig y Nos Castle we are a 'hotel' in summer and at weekends, and a B&B on winter midweeks.
Advantages of staying in winter
1) Great mid-week B&B deals at half price or less per night - see both our midweek breaks deals for stays of 2-3 days or more in the summer and our Winter Mid-Week Breaks for stays of 4-5 days mid-week in the winter.
2) It is very peaceful and quiet and you have a substantial castle with large sitting rooms more or less to yourself. If you like solitude, peace and quiet, you will enjoy time away from the madding crowds in our glorious countryside!
3) You'll meet fellow dog-walkers as dog owners love our excellent local dog walks and our great value midweek breaks.
4) There is plenty of fine dining and pub dining locally, because we have five pubs within two miles of the castle, all of whom will welcome winter trade.
6) Unlike a B&B which you often have to vacate during the day, you can still use the castle dog friendly public areas that are open, all day. The Nicolini and Breakfast room lounges are open by day and the Breakfast room lounge with log fire and Sky TV is open in the evenings. Both are dog friendly areas where dogs are welcome. Drinks are available over the bar on request from reception, during reception opening hours (9am to 9pm).
See here for more information on what to do in the area during your stay.
See more useful walks links and things to do in answer to the question "Where can I go out dog walking with my dogs".
What parts of the castle are open on winter trading days?
1) Reception 9am-9 pm - occasional evenings may close at 6 pm.
3) TV Lounge/ Breakfast room day and evenings. This has full Sky TV and a wood burning stove so can be kept nice and warm provided you keep the wood burning stove stoked up with logs.
4) Patti Bar for teas coffees and drinks whenever Reception is open (9-9) and on busier nights, later.
5) Breakfast may be served in the Patti Bar rather than the main dining room, when numbers are below ten guests staying.
What's on in the winter?
It can snow, which is very beautiful. See our wedding site pictures of the Castle in snow and for dogs, the Country Park in Winter. Also see the lower gardens in winter and further pictures of the castle in snow.
Also, check out the haunted castle G.H.O.S.T. tour. We nominate one day a month for a tour we run for singles and couples to join.