Dog Friendly Hotel Swansea Craig y Nos Country Park in Winter 20 - Dog Friendly Wales | Dog Friendly Hotel

Dog Friendly Wales
Go to content

Dog Friendly Hotel Swansea Craig y Nos Country Park in Winter 20

Dog Services > Dog Articles > Craig y Nos Country Park in Winter

Craig Y Nos Castle in Winter

Dog Friendly Tips: Electric Shock

Since dogs' bodies are such excellent conductors of electricity, the shock of an electric shock which ordinarily merely jolts human may kill them.

When shocked, they sometimes stiffen so rigidly that they appear to leap into the air.

There is a great temptation for a dog to chew a dangling electric cord, and many have been badly injured when they tried it. One such experience is sufficient to teach a dog's owner the hazard of loose electric wires, and may also teach the dog, even though they may have had previous dogs which never chewed wires. Once they have a dog that does chew, the discovery that loose wires can be such a hazard comes often at the cost of the dog's life.

If the shock has not killed the dog, artificial respiration should be administered immediately.

If it cannot let go of the wire, be careful when you pick the dog up. It may have urinated; you may step in the urine and, in touching it, the current may pass through your body.

Instead it is imperative you pull out the plug first or take hold of the wire with a wad of dry cloth and jerk it out of the dog's mouth.

Visit your vet immediately. He or she will probably administer drugs to stimulate the heart and breathing, and treat shock and the burns.

Click on picture to scroll to next page

Copyright Dog Friendly Wales and Jack the Dog
Back to content